Learning capacity

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Learning capacity

Post by The Boss on Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:52 am

Having been teaching learners for over 23 years now, I look back and feel that the pupil has changed, I find (just generally) they have a greater knowledge base, but a lower or slower learning capacity.

Many seem to know more of the basic stuff, like, speed limits, controls, legal requirements to drive, road signs and road markings.

But when it comes to keeping and storing new info it can be an uphill struggle, and not just the physical skills either. Its the pace or maybe its the hunger that's changed.

Any views on this ?

The boss.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Re: Learning capacity

Post by BernRoberts on Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:57 am

When I compare the modern learner to myself when I was learnubg, I'm constantly suprised how difficult they find the car control side of things. Not to mention how little common sense they seem to have! I think a lot of this is due to the attitude of young people these days. They can never be wrong....

BernRoberts

Back to top Go down

Post by StephenL on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:59 pm

It's the playstation generation!!

"Oh, it's much harder than on my Xbox!"

Welcome to the real world, games consoles have inceased their reaction time, OK, not all of them, and given a basic knowledge of how a car works but some think that steering/braking/acceleration etc on a game is just the same as real life. As a lot of the information is now online, it's seems they are accessing it easier and treat it more like a game so it sinks in more, compared to reading a book. If only someone would create a driving "game" more like the real thing, then perhaps their control would improve also.

StephenL

http://www.drivingzone.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:59 pm

StephenL wrote:It's the playstation generation!!

"Oh, it's much harder than on my Xbox!"

Welcome to the real world, games consoles have inceased their reaction time, OK, not all of them, and given a basic knowledge of how a car works but some think that steering/braking/acceleration etc on a game is just the same as real life. As a lot of the information is now online, it's seems they are accessing it easier and treat it more like a game so it sinks in more, compared to reading a book. If only someone would create a driving "game" more like the real thing, then perhaps their control would improve also.

Like this Steve, and it must play a part for many of them. Perhaps that's why they look so shocked when it all goes wrong.

Wonder if we have any learners viewing this that want to comment ? Smile

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick_H on Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:11 pm

I think it must be the toys that they play with. Some of my toys, farm tractors, had working steering so I learnt what would happen if I turned the wheel the wrong way when reversing long before I was old enough to drive. Also learnt how to reverse a trailer.
Such moving parts have been banned by good old Health & Safety.

Console driving games show only have 1 LIFE and vehicles shouldn't repair themselves. If the player crashed then the game shouldn't work for 3 weeks whilst the vehicle is repaired. Very Happy

Patrick_H

http://patrick-adi.bttradespace.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top